Spark Tech coils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Tech coils

Have SparkTech non-cdi COP PnP kit for Mitsu Evo9 here and Mitsu Evo9 with Sm4 1.09 wire-in ecu.
    Problem is we do not get spark with SparkTech. Car works fine with OEM coils and Sparktech works fine with OEM ecu, but not with Sm4.
    As Sparktech is PnP it is wired for 2 IGN outputs in wastespark and they are "smart" coils with built-in amplifiers, so can be wired directly to ecu.
    Anybody have experience with them on Autronic?
    www.es-racing.ee

I know this doesn't help your cause at all but does Spark Tech offer any documented information about what the ignition output coming to the coils must be? And in the same breath, I am assuming you tried to replicate what the factory coils are supposed to receive from the SM4 and it didn't work either; is this correct?
    Damien King
    Technical Analyst/Engine Management Calibrator
    Stephen's Automotive Research & Development Engineering

Comment

I think they dont know themself. I cant find any other reason not answering me to these simple questions
      www.es-racing.ee

Comment

Have you called them up? Surely they must have some advisory or response to assist you?

I know a few people that use them, apparently they have a grand prize giving for the first person to capture the supposed 7 second bounty (huge marketing hype).

Give me a day to get you a response, or ateast try my luck at it for you.
        Last edited by sarde; April 18th, 2014, 02:10 AM.
        Damien King

Comment

I have written to seller who sold me Sparktech, had written to Sparktech @ directly, have written to them on FB. They see my messages on FB, but simply do not answer to couple technical questions. They have answered only that if coils work on stock car/ecu than coils are fine and Autronic not trigger them, thats it.
          No, i haven`t called them. I am in Europe and have been out of my country and very busy recently.
          Thanks for help!
          Last edited by samvel; April 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM.
          www.es-racing.ee

Comment

I've spoken with Spark Tech Ignitions directly by phone and they were quite helpful explaining their product offerings, however, the technical details of trigger edge and dwell values were not given to me since I haven't actually purchased anything from them.

My advisory would be to speak directly with the dealer who took care of the transaction for the product, if no luck then I would advise speak with Spark Tech Ignitions directly either by phone or email. However, this time I would try my best to provide a detailed history of what has been done since the product was acquired.

If that fails, then I would put in some elbow grease by taking out an oscilloscope to first verify the trigger edge being sent to the Spark Tech Ignition coil input; this should be easy enough to complete. I would then record the dwell values within the SM4 while operating the factory coils, then use those same values. This time try not to rely on the engine firing up but rather if the coils are firing the spark plugs are all. If this fails though which I am hoping won't you will have to consult Ian as he may be able to guide you through an exercise where usable dwell values can be derived.

As always please feel free to follow up with update posts as your progress will be able to assist others.

Cheers!
            Damien King

Comment

Thanks for Your help.
              I have spoken to ST and Ian long ago, and questions from him have been directed to ST. However they have no answer for me.
              Yesterday they contacted me on FB (maybe bc of Your call) and giving me only irrelevant info, like dwell times that are included with kit anyway, and that i`ve purchased wrong kit (evo4-8, that is wastespark) and i am installing it on evo9. Huhh.
              Actually my seller messed my order, but only difference between 4-8 and 9 kits is mounting plate because of mivec valve cover. So we just modified mnt plate for not making it harder for seller. They are all (4-9) wastespark, they are all same connectors & pinout. I know it for sure as i have checked wiring diagrams and have been wiring Sm3/4 wire-in ecus to different evos. Also i have tested evo6 coils on same car as i have missfire problem with oem coils and they work, but still missfires.
              For triggering requirements they told will get back to me in 2hrs, but that never happened.
              www.es-racing.ee

Comment

I wish I could have helped more but if Ian is assisting then I'm sure you'll resolve the complication. Perhaps you could speak with the dealer for more direct feedback.

Keep us all posted on your progress, I should be testing the Spark Tech Ignition with a SM4 later this year so I'll provide feedback of my own.

Cheers!
                Damien King

Comment

Finally got an answer from ST, their coils need 5v pull to ground signal. Now waiting for solution to make this happen from Aus.
                  But still seems a bit strange, that oem ecu can trigger them both - oem & ST coils, but Sm3/4 only oem coils.
                  I have also another COP option, that i will test out in full sequential ignition setup on high boosted rallycross evo6.
                  www.es-racing.ee

Comment

That's great news as should prove quite helpful for my own installations in the future.

I'd like to move away from most CDI setups commonly needed with SMC boxes and work more with IDI systems possible with the SM3/SM4 setup. Once setup correctly an IDI system should prove quite capable.

Thanks for sharing your information on the Spark Tech products, I completely assumed you were working with dumb coils and not smart coils so I myself was baffled; but with every install comes more experience and insight right.

Cheers!
                    Damien King

Comment

Hi, I am wondering how you got on with this. Were you able to come up with a solution to get the coils to fire with the Autronic?
                      I have a similar issue, i have purchased the M&W inductive non - cdi COP kit assuming it would be plug and play but they do not want to fire on my Evo 9 pnp 1.07 Autronic. I have spoken with M&W and they belive it is a trigger level problem like you describe.
                      Cheers.

Comment

Put a 1.5k series resistor in each trigger wire.

Comment

Thank you for the reply Ian.
                          I tried the 1.5k resistors installed in series in each trigger wire but unfortunately they still don't want to fire.
                          Interestingly the stock coil packs fire no problem with the resistors in place still.
                          Should i try any other resistors values?

Photos of setup here
                          https://i.imgur.com/iZjTc8Q.jpg
                          https://i.imgur.com/r7lcwRs.jpg

p.s crappy soldering was just for testing purposes.

Comment

I thought you must have done a 4 trigger conversion, I didnt realise you were still waste spark. Try another 1500 ohm resistor in parallel with the existing resistor.

Comment

Working...
                            X