Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

file import/export from android to autronic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file import/export from android to autronic?

Has anyone developed a file transfer tool to put/get the .cal file on the Autronic from an Android based phone? Or Iphone or anything else for that matter? I'm not talking about a tuning program, just a simple program that puts the .cal file on the Autronic and gets it off. This way we can turn off the car and pull the .cal file from the car so we don't have to worry about someone stealing it. Then when we get back in the car, and plug the phone into the usb port we can start the car after we put the .cal file on it from the phone. I would love to have one of these and would pay for it if it meant an excellent anti-theft device.

It seems simple enough to make, I just don't know anything about programming. I have a friend that writes programs, what commands would put the file on the autronic if I wanted to put it on through a command line?
    check out the videos of my engine project, custom LED tail lights, and other neat stuff on http://youtube.com/match417

or could someone tell me way the .cal file is stored on the Autronic? Is it stored on /******.cal. I don't know what kind of filesystem the Autronic uses. I have a friend that is a programmer and I talked to him last night, he should be able to write it and I can send it to one of you guys to verify the reliability of it.

Here's how I'm thinking that I want it. I start the app on my phone, get in the car and plug in the USB, as soon as the phone recognizes that it is plugged into the USB the .cal file is automatically transferred to the car, so I can turn the key. And if I want to pull it off of the Autronic then I just press a button when I'm unplugging it. And maybe enter a pin, just so no one fiddling with the phone would be able to take the .cal file off of the Autronic when it's running.
    check out the videos of my engine project, custom LED tail lights, and other neat stuff on http://youtube.com/match417

Comment

Bump.

Looking into this now. if anyone has info would be good.
      CISCOKIDS
      The Gentlemen's Club
      Midnight Rocker

Comment

I talked to a developer a while back, and did some research, I'm no programmer but I have taken a couple programming classes. What I found researching this is newer android versions support operating as a usb host, and it needs drivers to allow it to operate in host mode, older versions do not. Android Honeycomb version 3.1 or higher I believe are the versions that allow for host mode. Since the newer versions support operating as a host, it can power a usb adapter for a serial connection as long as the drivers are developed for the adapter. I hope the android device is capable of running a straight serial connection to the SM4 without using a db9 adapter. If not, I've never found a micro usb-b to male db9 adapter, only this one which is micro usb-b to female: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Connector-Female-Data-Cable/dp/B007ZI2XAA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top.

I also emailed autronic tech support asking if there has been any android development of software to interface with the sm4, this is the response:
        There isn't an andriod version of the software and we haven't had any other
        requests (you are the first request). So it is unlikely that a version will
        be developed.

This is all I know, hope it helps. And I hope you can at least develop something to load different files on the SM4.

If you want some help, I don't mind installing the android sdk on my computer and watching some tutorial videos on developing to learn the language, plus I could test it on my phone. I'm familiar enough with java and basic from classes to learn the basics of android developing, and I remember that the guy I used to watch videos of programming on youtube also makes android videos.

"i just want to tell you both good luck we're all counting on you"
        Last edited by match220; April 18th, 2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I think MAXXECU has an Android app, you connect via usb or bluetooth. Maybe you can check how tyey did it
          Here connected to a Nexus 7

Last edited by nisse järnet; April 18th, 2013, 02:29 PM.
          BMW E30 325ix M50 turbo, active 4wd, traction control and boost by gear. 840awhp @ 2.15 bar.
          BMW E30 M50 turbo 764 whp @ 1.7 bar with traction control and boost by gear.

Comment

Hi,
            Few thoughts, I have made several wireless apps (27 years of wireless experience):

1. Reading/writing cal to ECU: A lot of work, 2-3 months even if coded by a professional. Not worth pursuing in my opinion.
            2. Instrument panel like Android application: Relatively easy thing since data stream is known, maybe 3-4wks.

What if your organize a group buy to see how many interested buyers you would get for #2?
            br, Esa

Comment

Originally posted by nisse järnet View Post
              I think MAXXECU has an Android app, you connect via usb or bluetooth. Maybe you can check how tyey did it
              Here connected to a Nexus 7

The page is in another language, but using google translate you can click around and read it if you want http://translate.google.com/translat...mobila-enheter
              How hard is it to decompile android software? I know that there are programs out there to determine the code and pull it apart. We can pull apart the MaxxECU software and see how it works, hopefully everything is commented well. And we could also decompile the autronic software to see how frequently it is computing the signals that the Autronic is sending out.

Comment

Just a Cal swap file for now.

Very basic i have had some basic andriod programing stuff and i could get some of the guys at work to help. i think if we all work together we could nut it out.

http://android.bigresource.com/Andro...html#BwEpIXgqi

I will do some research later today at work once i finish my normal work :P

if we stick to the basics EG just a CAL file swap/read nothing more and then maybe in future work on more and more. could be a good forum project for the people with knowledge and people wanting to learn/research?
                CISCOKIDS
                The Gentlemen's Club
                Midnight Rocker

Comment

Interested. I have an SMC, and would like a quick way to swap between E85 and gasoline cals with my droid phone or tablet. Not wanting to drag the laptop everywhere.
                  Josh
                  Littleton, CO
                  92 Celica GT4

Comment

Originally posted by match220 View Post
                    This way we can turn off the car and pull the .cal file from the car so we don't have to worry about someone stealing it.
                    Dont they have tow trucks in your neck of the woods??
                    Whilst loading a non starter cal will help, is it any different to an engine immobiliser or a hidden kill switch???

They all stop the engine from being started and thats about it. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
                    With a phone controlled cal, you now have two things to worry about being stolen, both the car and the phone.

Having said all that, I would be keen on replacing my installed car computer with a tablet one day should the capability be reached, so if the tech work is done and it needs financing, I'd pay a modest amount for the effort.
                    Jo

Comment

************************************************** *******
                      SM4 datastream

Start string $ (8 bit)
                      Packet size (8 bit)
                      Battery Voltage (16 bit)
                      Coolant Temp (16 bit)
                      Charge Temp (16 bit)
                      Air Temp (16 bit)
                      Spare Speed (16 bit)
                      Vehicle Speed (16 bit)
                      Exhaust Back Pressure (16 bit)
                      Manifold Pressure (16 bit)
                      Throttle Position (16 bit)
                      RPM (16 bit)
                      Air Fuel Ratio (16 bit)
                      Cam 1 Angle (16 bit)
                      Cam 2 Angle (16 bit)
                      Error Code 1 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 2 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 3 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 4 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 5 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 6 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 7 (8 bit)
                      Error Code 8 (8 bit)
                      Injection Pluse Width (16 bit)
                      Ignition angle (8 bit)
                      Knock Retard (8 bit)
                      Checksum (16 bit)

Protocol: 19200 8 none 1

This will help :P I'm looking into SM4 first but it would not be hard to re do for SM2 and SMC Later on if we can get this working
                      CISCOKIDS
                      The Gentlemen's Club
                      Midnight Rocker

Comment

Awesome, how did you get the data stream? Maybe it could be an all-in-one program. Like you could select SM4, SM2, or SMC from the options menu. Also, do the different version of the Autronic (ex. 1.06 or 1.09) have different data streams? Since I have an SM4 1.06, would the data stream be the same as an SM4 1.09? If the datastream is incorrect then it just wouldn't show right on the android/iphone. But then as far as storing a new file is concerned, if the file is stored incorrectly, it could brick the Autronic hardware, correct? The software would need to be able to detect what version of the SM4 is, so it could give a warning message if trying to store a file different from the hardware?

What if we just emailed the company and asked them for the source code? Or if not the source code then at least the piece of code that stores the file on the ecu, if it is the same across all Autronic platforms, and how the software detects the hardware version. We could say something like how it would be useful in marketing the product once we've got it semi working we could share it with them so they can fine tune it. They could then say, "it works with android and iphone devices", or something like that. Since they don't sell the software I don't see why it would be an issue to ask for the source code unless they don't want corrupt software floating around the Internet.
                        Last edited by match220; April 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Well from the emails i got from IAN, This was all i got for SM4 how ever i do have SM2 and SMC data streams as well.

I would assume SM4 are all the same just no knock retard? but i will ask Ian that as i need to email him in regards to some items im awaiting.

A simple streen with a drop down menu select version of autronic at the start then that will set how the autronic and andriod talk.

Reason i say select from the start is how about we start with something simple 1st get it working before we start looking at auto detection and so on.
                          CISCOKIDS
                          The Gentlemen's Club
                          Midnight Rocker

Comment

yeah, it does seem to make more sense to start out with something simple. I was just thinking in regards to safety. I don't know what it would take to kill the SM4, but I don't want to find out either..haha. I've wondered what accidentally loading a 1.09 cal onto a 1.06 device would do, and I'm not brave enough to find out. Maybe an "are you sure" message, or a verification bar across the top that says connected to 1.06 SM4, or connected to 1.09 SM4.

On a separate note, is it possible to configure an android device to charge while being connected to another device? I know the usb cable would need to be split and the data +/data- separate from the 5v+/gnd.

Also check out the Torque app from the android market. I use it for obd2 diagnostics on the cars that I work on. It connects to the car's odb2 port and you can display different outputs from the engine. Maybe it could give you some ideas on how to set up some things.

Comment

That datastream list (for SM4 v1.01 to v1.07) is not quite correct as some of the Error code bytes were not implemented. The SM4 datastream protocols are attached.

In relation to program code to swap cals for other platforms the source code (or components of it) for the current software will not be released. I have no say in this (nor wish to have any).
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X